Saturday, January 3, 2009

Hello 2009?


Well, recently I have wondered the validity of "new years resolutions", and even the significance of the new year in general. I suppose for me, it's just an easy date to remember. Nothing more. It also troubles me that an entire planet uses the same event to measure time. I know there's a Jewish calendar, and the Mayan calendar, but widely, across the planet, it is the year 2009. Not to mention the several years we've lost as records-keepers were quite inaccurate centuries ago. It's not 2009, it hasn't been 2009 years since... was it Christ's death, or birth? When are we even measuring from?

Yet it is a good time to remind oneself that goals are a good thing. Fuck "resolutions". I feel this term is for the unimaginative. I was inspired by my dear friend Elfie to re-visit my goals I'd previously invented for myself, perhaps three years ago. It reminded me that there is more to life than the unfinished business here at my house. I am reminded that there are other facets to me, that I've forgotten about. Places I want to travel, things I want to see, and, well, I've never forgotten that I want to move from this shit-hole of a town.

Elfie reminded me just how crucial goals can be. Especially for the soft-of-mind. I've become very forgetful in my mothering-days. It's like a drug that takes away the peaks, like when I was in labor. At the end of the day, no matter how annoyed I was, or upset things made me, I will undoubtably say I had a good day. I don't know if it is my programming, or just that I have a blissful amnesia of the days torments. So the memory gets altered, Olivia goes to bed, and my day feels like it's really starting around 7pm. I get alone time, I get to spend time with Ezra, I get to watch a movie, check my email, do the little tasks around the house I wanted to do, but Olivia would destroy (she's a little... haphazard).

I like having substance, rules, goals, due dates, an end product. I like to be able to look at my accomplishments. I also like the fact that I am that artsy chick I always thought was cool when I was growing up. I like that my shirts have home-made stencil art on them, that I can show up to a party with a hat I made (mostly from scratch), and that people compliment my work. I like that I am that chick, finally. And my husband is freaking making guitars in our kitchen! I love that level of creativity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the greatest picture of Richard of all time.

Amy! said...

ok i have to know.. is that a guy named richard?~?~?~ i think i know him. We used live next to each other when we were growing and found each other again in vallejo. u have to tell me!!!!
help me get a hold of him!!! HeHe

`Amy